Real Salt Lake is getting ready for a bitter, cold MLS Cup Final on Saturday at Sporting Kansas City. Here are a few tidbits from practice today:
- Chris Wingert and Alvaro Saborio both trained fully. Wingert even did extra running after practice to get his body back match fit. I expect both will be fully available for selection on Saturday.
- Coach Jason Kreis denied Brian Strauss’ report that he has already decided to go to NYCFC after the season ends. In addition, Kreis noted that the outcome of MLS Cup will probably not impact his decision at season’s end.
- Kansas City’s undersoil heating means Salt Lake expects to have a very playable field for Saturday’s match, even if it is really cold as the weather forecasts suggest.
- Javier Morales views the opportunity to play in this match as “revenge” for getting injured during the 2009 MLS Cup against the L.A. Galaxy. Kreis added that he’d seen the agony in Morales when he had to leave the pitch in 2009. This MLS Cup is a great chance at redemption for the RSL playmaker.
- When asked about Sporting Kansas City’s physicality, Kyle Beckerman suggested RSL was ready to “kick back” and play physical with SKC.